Monday, April 25, 2011

Monday, 25th April

Tips for Oral
Oral examiners will be looking out for:
1. Consistently good pronunciation
2. Fluent reading
3. Appropriate pauses & without hesitation

I seek your assistance to help your child with point 2 and 3.

Common Mistakes
1. Not emphasising the beginning and ending sounds
2. Rushing through a sentence, without pausing
3. Reading in a monotonous manner
4. Reading mispronounced words again


Below are a few sample reading passages for you practice with your child.

Passage 1

Mary is seven years old. She is in Primary One. She walks to school every morning. Her house is near the school.

Ai Lee is Mary’s best friend. They are classmates. They enjoy doing many things together. Both of them like Music and Art lessons. They often go cycling in the park. Sometimes they go to the nearby swimming pool for a swim.

Passage 2
There are seven members in my family. My father is a policeman. My mother is a teacher.

I have a sister and a brother. They like to play with me. We go to school together.

My grandfather and grandmother live with us. They look after us when my parents are at work. They like to take us to the park. We are a happy family.

Tips for Picture Conversation

1. Identify the place
Say : This is a picture of a …

2 Identify the focal points - main activities in the picture
3. Talk abouit each focal point.
Describe (what, who, where)
Reason (how, why is this happening)
Interpret (why you think so)

4. Conclude
Say : This is all I have to say about this picture.


Do not:

1. Do not use the phrase "I can see a boy..." "I see a girl ..."
2. Do not tell a story about the people in the picture.

Sample Picture 1

No comments:

Post a Comment