Sunday, May 8, 2011

Monday, 9th May

Dear Parents,

Thank you for making arrangements so that your child can attend the supplementary class. It was a good turn out and only two pupils were unable to attend the class. Listed below are exam tips and focus areas I shared with the pupils. The focus areas highlight the most common mistakes made by the pupils. Please help me to remind your child should you find it useful.

Focus Areas for English

1. Revise the use of has and have

Exam tip: Circle/highlight the nouns.
Example: The monkeys have tails.
The monkey has a tail.

2. Revise the use of present continuous tense in Unit 14: The Jigaree

Note: Highlight to pupils that is/are is followed by a verb in the ____ing structure

Exam tip: Circle/highlight is/are.
Example: The kangaroo is hopping.
The boys are playing.

3. Revise the use of question words

Exam tip: Circle/highlight the clues in the answer.
Examples
What - used for nouns or verbs
What is Tom playing? Tom is playing with a bat.
Where - used for place
Where is the cat? It is in the cupboard.
Who - used for people
Who is in kitchen? Mother is in the kitchen.
When - used for time
When are you returning my book? I will return it tomorrow.

4. Revise the use of prepositions (in, on, over and into).

Note:
Show different ways to use the preposition over.

I hit the ball over the net.
The cat jumped over the fence.
Pull the blanket over your body.

in and into are not the same

in - does not show movement from one place to another

The books are in my bag.

into - shows movement from one place to another

Example:
I put the books in my bag. (wrong)
I put the books into my bag. (correct)

5. Revise the use of pronouns (he/his, I/my, she/her, you/your

Note: Highlight that his, my, her and your shows possession

Example:

Siti has a cat. She cat is white. (wrong)
Siti has a cat. Her cat is white. (correct)


6. Revise the use of punctuations.

Exam tip: Circle/highlight the clues.

- Exclamation mark ! to show that a person raised his/her voice in anger or excitement

"Be quiet!" yelled the Farmer. (correct)
"Be quiet." yelled the Farmer. (wrong)

- Question mark ? to show that a person has asked a question

"What are you doing?" asked the teacher. (correct)
"What are you doing." asked the teacher. (wrong)

- Full stop . to show the end of a sentence

- Comma , to show a list of items

I bought a pen, a pencil and an eraser.

Exam Reminders

1. Please revise the vocabulary words for each unit. Advise your child to look for clues from the picture or the given sentence to obtain the correct answer.

2. Please go through the exam papers with your children. Read through the instructions for each section of the exam paper with your child to familiarise them with the instructions.

Grammar Cloze
Please remind them that each word can be used once only. Exam tip: Cross out the words after they have been used.

Word Order
Please remind them to begin with a capital letter and end with the correct punctuation ( . or ?) Marks will be deducted otherwise.

Comprehension Cloze
Please include the letter s if the answer has to be in plural form. Otherwise no marks will be given.

Example:

During the holidays, my mother takes me to the Botanic Gardens. We take a (51) bus there. We like to look at the different colourful (52) flowers . Then, we go to a shopping centre. We have our (53) lunch at the foodcourt. After that, my mother buys a (54) storybook for me. We
have an enjoyable day together. I can’t wait to go home to (55) read my new book.


Reading Comprehension
Answer in a complete sentence.
Exam tip: Underline the answers in the passage.


Important Reminders:
1. Please bring the Maths File on Tuesday, 10th May.


Homework:

1. Maths Revision Paper 1
2. Maths Workboook (Only for those who have not completed and handed it in today)

No comments:

Post a Comment